Caraway: Gaming at Caraway
Calling all gamers! After having the opportunity of going to the SXSW.edu Conference, Mr. Sosa’s 3rd grade class is creating their own games on-line using Gamestar Mechanic. Gamestar Mechanic is a game and on-line community that teaches kids how to design their own games! Through Gamestar Mechanic, the students are learning about the elements of game design which include: space, components, mechanics, goals, and rules.
Designing games also builds:
•21st Century Skills,
•Creative Problem Solving,
•Art and Aesthetics,
•Writing and Storytelling,
•and creates a motivation for STEM learning.
Visit Mr. Sosa’s website and click on “Class Made Games” to start playing some of these games. Remember to leave a comment with your suggestions on how the students can improve their games.
More Great Technology Happenings on Elementary Campuses Around the District:
– Blackland 1st grade students research and create presentation on famous inventors and animals. Visit “First Grade has been hard at Work” at http://anitaoliverblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/first-grade-has-been-hard-at-work.html
– Old Town 1st grade students research animals and create projects. Visit “Animal Research for First Grade” at http://oldtowntech.edublogs.org/2012/04/18/animal-research-for-first-grade/
– Chandler Oaks 5th grade students create pie graphs and convert fractions. Visit “5th Grade TAG Students Tackle Graphing – with Technology!” at http://chandleroakselementary.blogspot.com/2012/04/5th-grade-tag-students-tackle-graphing.html
– Spicewood 5th grade students broaden their historical perspectives. Visit “5th Grade Teachers Create a Website to Support Student Research” at http://spicewoodtechnology.blogspot.com/2012/04/5th-grade-tecahers-create-website-to.html
– Sommer 5th grade students create claymation videos. Visit “Getting Animated!” at http://sommerit.blogspot.com/2012/04/getting-animated.html
– Cactus Ranch students acquire weather station. Visit “Cactus Ranch Weather Station” at http://crelonghorncelebrations.blogspot.com/2012/04/cactus-ranch-weather-station.html
– Anderson Mill students use technology of expand their physical classroom. Visit “Netbooks Anywhere” at http://ames-it-right.blogspot.com/2012/04/netbooks-anywhere.html
– Herington students create public service video. Visit “Students Create Video to Honor Auxiliary Employees” at http://herringtontech.blogspot.com/2012/04/students-create-video-to-honor.html
– Blackland TAG students raise the level of collaboration during poetry lesson. Visit “Let’s Meet on Today’s Meet!” at http://anitaoliverblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/lets-meet-on-todays-meet.html
– Berkman students use mix fun with learning as they practice their skills of using a coordinate grid. Visit “Coordinate Grid Online” at http://gettingitrightberkman.blogspot.com/2012/04/students-enjoyed-online-math-game-to.html
Great Oaks: Take a Look at Kidcaster Lauren!!!
Take look at Lauren Bradley. She got a rare opportunity thanks to Zack Shields of Fox 7 News. Lauren was able to appear on live television and give the morning forecast. What a wonderful opportunity! If you want your child to appear with Zack, just apply through his Kidcaster website: http://www.myfoxaustin.com/subindex/weather/kidcasters